why does "python --version" write to standard error?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Mar 7 05:06:31 EST 2014

On 07Mar2014 00:31, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> In article <20140307075744.GA43732 at cskk.homeip.net>,
>  Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> > This seems to write the python version to standard error. That seems
> > very wrong. And at variance with the manual entry.
>
> Fixed in Python 3.4:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue18338

Excellent! My thanks to Berker Peksag and Michael Dickens and the
other ticket participants.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The double cam chain setup on the 1980's DOHC CB750 was another one of
Honda's pointless engineering breakthroughs. You know the cycle (if you'll
pardon the pun :-), Wonderful New Feature is introduced with much fanfare,
WNF is fawned over by the press, WNF is copied by the other three Japanese
makers (this step is sometimes optional), and finally, WNF is quietly dropped
by Honda.
        - Blaine Gardner, <blgardne at sim.es.com>