gdb unable to read python frame information

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Fri Mar 7 02:10:20 EST 2014

Wesley <nispray at gmail.com> writes:

> I wanna use gdb to attach my running python scripts.
> Successfully import libpython in gdb, but seems all py operations failed to read python information.
>
> Here is the snippet:
> (gdb) python
>>import libpython
>>end
> (gdb) py-bt
> #3 (unable to read python frame information)
> #5 (unable to read python frame information)

The simplest possible interpretation would be that your
Python lacks debugging symbols. That often happens with
system installed Python installations (which usually are stripped
to the bare minimal symbol set - as "normal" users do not need
debugging).

Try with a Python that you have generated yourself.