Ternary operator associativity

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 6 13:52:46 EST 2014

On 3/6/2014 6:34 AM, candide wrote:
> According to the official documentation, the ternary operator has
> left-to-right associativity :

The proper terms is 'conditional expression', which goes back to "The C
Programming Language" (K&R). There are many unary operators, many binary
operators, and there could be other ternary operators.

> ------------------- Operators in the same box group left to right
> (except for comparisons, including tests, which all have the same
> precedence and chain from left to right -- see section Comparisons --
> and exponentiation, which groups from right to left).
> -------------------
>
> Nevertheless, the ternary operator grouping seems to be from right to
> left, compare :

> 0
> False
> True

This behavior is specified in the grammar as given in the C-E section.

The doc is also inconsistent about evaluation order and precedence. I
opened  http://bugs.python.org/issue20859 .

--
Terry Jan Reedy