How security holes happen

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:19:27 EST 2014

On 2014-03-05, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:48:40 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa
> <marko at pacujo.net> declaimed the following:
>>Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
>>> Okay, that looks totally cool. Maybe I'll finally get a
>>> handle on LISP! :)
>>
>> Lisp is conceptually simpler than Python, but awe-inspiring.
>> One day, it will overtake Python, I believe.
>>

> It's already had 54 years to become a major language...
>
> Instead it has schismed into Common Lisp and Scheme (and a few
> other dialects)
>
> Granted, my experience was toying with /cassette-based/
> SuperSoft LISP on a TRS-80 Model III

Personally, I think it hasn't taken off because special forms are
harder to remember than syntax. And there are, like, *way* more
than mammals needs. And then the coolest feature of the language,
macros, is designed to let you, gulp, add more.

Well, that or lisp's designers severely underestimated how much
we like to use our programming languages as non-RPN calculators.

--
Neil Cerutti