3.4rc2 and pip on windows

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 22:06:05 EST 2014

On 04/03/2014 05:32, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 3/3/2014 2:47 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> This is from setup.py

> This is from pip, saying that it successfully downloaded and installed
> the files on your disk, which it did.
>
>>> A bug it seems to me.
>
> After reading the responses on the tracker and here, the bug is in the
> total systen of interaction of multiple parts. It is not a bug for the
> part covered by the tracker.

>>> I should hope so.
>
>> FTR I raised this as http://bugs.python.org/issue20846 and it was closed
>> 11 minutes after I raised it.  I won't say anything else as I'm
>> extremely tired and irritable and might well regret it later.
>
> The issue brought to attention that the parts do not work together
> perfectly yet and stimulated some thought and some clarification on what
> needs to be done. I understand the irritation, but sleeping on it and
> letting it go is a good idea.

Attempted overnight sleep failed :(  Sleeping late afternoon and early
evening GMT yesterday 04/03/2014 succeeded :)

Having raised the issue I certainly understand things much better,
especially because of the words from Ned Deilly.

So a question springs to my mind.

How do we educate the people putting their code on pypi to correctly set
up the relevant fields so that it can be correctly handled by any tools
that want to download from pypi?

How does the lack of correct data and/or code on pypi add more credence
to the impression that libraries are not ready for Python 3 when in
actual fact they are?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---