How security holes happen

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Mar 4 20:57:43 EST 2014

In article <mailman.7777.1393980007.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:48:40 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net>
> declaimed the following:
>
> >Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
> >
> >> Okay, that looks totally cool. Maybe I'll finally get a handle on
> >> LISP! :)
> >
> >Lisp is conceptually simpler than Python, but awe-inspiring. One day, it
> >will overtake Python, I believe.

I first played with Lisp in 1976.  The only time I ever used it for
anything serious was an A/I course I took in the mid 80's.  At the end
of the semester, I was just starting to write things in Lisp (as opposed
to writing C transliterated to Lisp syntax and keywords).

>  It's already had 54 years to become a major language...
>
>  Instead it has schismed into Common Lisp and Scheme (and a few other
> dialects)

Python has had 23 years to become a major language...

Instead it has schismed into Python 2.x and Python 3.x.

[holding hands over ears to avoid the howls of derision, while ducking
and running]