Error compressing tar file

Mike miguelcoam at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 19:38:49 EST 2014

Hello,
I have the script that make a backup file (this process is ok), but now i wish compress the file on tar file format. But i have problem syntax in the line of the tar function.

The error is

[root at master ~]# python bkp_db.py
  File "bkp_db.py", line 19
    tar = tarfile.open(dumpfile)+'.tar.gz','w:gz')
                                                 ^

Note: The 'dumpfile' is the variable for my dump generate with format db_02-27-14

tar = tarfile.open(dumpfile)+'.tar.gz','w:gz')
tar.add(os.path.join(dumpfile), arcname=dumpfile)
tar.close()

Wath is the correct sintax?

Thanks.