Can global variable be passed into Python function?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 11:53:06 EST 2014

On 02/03/2014 16:23, Chris Angelico wrote:

> A switch block that works with constants and equality *can* be turned
> into a dict. If the constants are hashable, use them as the keys
> directly; if they're not hashable and/or you want to use object
> identity as the criterion (effectively like using 'is' rather than
> '==' for your case statements), use id(x) as the keys, and make sure
> you have other references to the objects. Then it'll be fine as a
> straight-up dict.
>
> If the switch block uses inequalities, then it suffers from the same
> problem as the try/except block - it's inherently ordered, in case
> (pun intended) there's a switched-on value that matches more than one.
> (You could possibly optimize the int case, but that would be way WAY
> too specific for a generic language structure.)
>
> ChrisA

You clearly don't get my point.  I *DON'T* want to use stupid constants
and stupid equalities, I want to use identities.  I *DON'T* want to use
stupid ==, I want to use 'is'.  I *DON'T* care how many people with
years of experience of Python tell me that this is the wrong thing to
do, that is how I am going to do it.  So, for the final time of asking,
how do I do the above with, and only with, the identity, even if you
stupidly keep on trying to tell me that this is wrong?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---