source code control and documentation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 11:02:32 EST 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Rita <rmorgan466 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to achieve this, every time I commit to svn I automatically  run
> hooks to test my libraries, ATM I am doing this manually
>
> cd libs
> PYTHONPATH=. python test_lib.py
>
> and if everything passes I do a svn commit -m 'committing code'
>
> I don't have access to my svn server so I can't create my own hooks (or can
> I?)

This is really a subversion question, not a Python one. But this much
I'll say: svn is vastly inferior to modern version control systems
like git and Mercurial (the latter being written in Python and used
for CPython and many other Python-related projects). You can easily
import your svn history into either git or Mercurial (at least, I'm
pretty sure Mercurial offers good import facilities - if not, there
are ways around the problem), so you won't lose anything by switching.
And hook support is excellent.

Personally, I'm very friendly with git - we work together really well.
Mercurial and I are like business acquaintances that don't see each
other quite as often, and interactions are a bit more formal and
stilted. But I know that either one will serve you well, and far more
easily than svn does.

ChrisA