Translation of Python!

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 30 22:18:24 EDT 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:24:46 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 06/30/2014 12:37 PM, Doriven Basha wrote:
>> I want to translate it into my language like the chinese python
>> https://code.google.com/p/zhpy/w/list?q=label:Chinese can you help me?
>
> I don't understand chinese, so I am not sure what this web page is
> about. Do you want to translate Python's messages (error tracebacks,
> etc) into Romanian?

Doriven is Albanian, not Romanian.

> Or are you wanting to create a language that uses
> Python syntax but with Romanian keywords replacing english ones like if,
> else, while, def, etc?

Yes, that's what ChinesePython does:

http://reganmian.net/blog/2008/11/21/chinese-python-translating-a-programming-language/

http://www.chinesepython.org/english/english.html

For what it's worth, when this came up on the Python-Dev mailing list a
few years ago, Guido gave his blessing to the idea.

I don't know how ChinesePython does it, but if I were doing this, I would
use a pre-processor that translates custom source code into Python. Here
are two joke languages that do something similar:

http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/2007/06/01/lolpython.html

http://www.staringispolite.com/likepython/

--
Steven