Writing Multiple files at a times

Denis McMahon denismfmcmahon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 19:22:10 EDT 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:23:08 -0700, subhabangalore wrote:

> Thank you for your kind suggestion. But I am not being able to sort out,
> "fp = open( "scraped/body{:0>5d}.htm".format( n ), "w" ) "
> please suggest.

look up the python manual for string.format() and open() functions.

The line indicated opens a file for write whose name is generated by the
string.format() function by inserting the number N formatted to 5 digits
with leading zeroes into the string "scraped/bodyN.htm"

It expects you to have a subdir called "scraped" below the dir you're
executing the code in.

Also, this newsgroup is *NOT* a substitute for reading the manual for
basic python functions and methods.

Finally, if you don't understand basic string and file handling in
python, why on earth are you trying to write code that arguably needs a
level of competence in both? Perhaps as your starter project you should
try something simpler, print "hello world" is traditional.

To understand the string formatting, try:

print "hello {:0>5d} world".format( 5 )
print "hello {:0>5d} world".format( 50 )
print "hello {:0>5d} world".format( 500 )
print "hello {:0>5d} world".format( 5000 )
print "hello {:0>5d} world".format( 50000 )

Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon at gmail.com