Newbie coding question - format error

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 29 11:54:06 EDT 2014

On 6/29/2014 3:06 AM, Martin S wrote:

A couple of additional notes:

> x=int(input('Enter an integer '))
> y=int(input('Enter another integer '))
> z=int(input('Enter a third integer '))
> formatStr='Integer {0}, {1}, {2}, and the sum is {3}.'

When the replacement fields and arguments are in the same order, the
indexes are optional. The following works, and might be less confusing.

formatStr = 'Integer {}, {}, {}, and the sum is {}.'

> equations=formatStr.format(x,y,z,x+y+z)

We no longer have a space shortage ;-). The following is easier to read.

equations = formatStr.format(x, y, z, x+y+z)

> print(equations)

Compute quotient and remainder with the divmod function.

q, r = divmod(x, y)

Both are computed at once and x // y and x % y just toss the other
answer. x // y == divmod(x, y)[0], x % y == divmod(x, y)[1]

--
Terry Jan Reedy