print statements and profiling a function slowed performance

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 22:25:06 EDT 2014

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 12:50:19 AM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:

> > Threading is a focus of so many myths. People who don't understand it
> > think that threads are magic pixie dust that fixes everything, or else
> > magic pixie dust that breaks everything. Or both, at the same time.
> > Neither notion is true.

> I'm in the latter camp.

> More precisely: threads have their uses but they are used far too much
> and not feared nearly enough.

Third Camp:
Since both views are true:

Chris: Threads solve a large class of important problems
Marko: Threads are horribly error prone

lets have a (bondage-and-discipline) language that supports smooth mostly
error-free threads.

Most famous recent example is Go.
More classic (and more bondage-and-discipline) are Erlang, CloudHaskell

PS. I find the success of node.js (async model) scary.
The success is a fact