print statements and profiling a function slowed performance

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:36:17 EDT 2014

> Seems like over the years good old fashioned
> debugging skills have been lost.  In the earliest
> days of IDEs (Turbo BASIC and QuickBASIC) I
> regularly would employ debuggers with break
> points, watches, and step through my code.

I do also use a debugger, but lazily use print
statements, too.  When I use the debugger (in
my case, in the IDE I use, Boa Constructor), I
do use break points and step through my code,
but I have never used watches.  How do you use
them?

> Yes, it stands to reason that profiling code
> is going to introduce a runtime cost.  How else
> would we expect profiling to work?

I think I was hoping for magic. :D

>  What I do find Heisenbergian are bugs that show
> up when debugging and profiling stuff are removed,
> but completely gone when present.  IE profiling and
> debugging slow it down enough that often subtle race
> conditions are masked.

Would never have occurred to me.  That *is* odd!