Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Peter Tomcsanyi tomcsanyi at slovanet.sk
Tue Jun 24 18:47:56 EDT 2014

"Ned Deily" <nad at acm.org> wrote in message
news:nad-D2DDCB.14070824062014 at news.gmane.org...
> Probably easier, though, is to install Python 3.4 from MacPorts which
> does provide its own version of Tcl/Tk 8.6.1, the Cocoa version by
> default or optionally an X11 version:
>
> # after installing the base MacPorts
> sudo port selfupdate
> sudo port install py34-tkinter +quartz
> /opt/local/bin/python3.4
>
> The easiest option would be a downloadable package that would allow the
> default python.org 8.5-linked _tkinter to be overridden with an 8.6
> version.  There may be some news on that front in the near future.

Many thanks for the quick reply.
I will try the MacPorts version, but I am quite Windows-based (I do the Mac
installation for somebody else), so I am not sure how to install all the
other packages that we use (NumPy, MatPlotLib, Pillow and maybe something
else that I do not recall at this moment...). Last time (for the python.org
version of Python) I needed to try out several approached from several sites
to succeed finally...

So I will impatiently expect the changes "on that front" and I will hope
that they will come till August 2014.

Peter Tomcsanyi