Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Peter Tomcsanyi tomcsanyi at slovanet.sk
Tue Jun 24 14:11:44 EDT 2014

Hello,

I use the Python 3.4.1 installer from
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-341/

The Windows installation comes with Tcl/Tk version 8.6 which has some new
features (compared to 8.5) that are very important to me.

But the Mac installer does not include Tcl/Tk and the page:
https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk
says:
"The Python 64-bit/32-bit Mac OS X installers for Python 3.4.x, 3.3.x,
3.2.x, and 2.7.x dynamically link to Tcl/Tk 8.5 frameworks."

I tried to download and install ActiveTcl 8.6.1 for Mac, but Python does not
use it...

Can anyone help me make Python 3.4.1 use Tcl/Tk 8.6 on Mac OS X (10.9.2, if
that matters)?

Does anyone know why the Windows installer brings the newest version of
Tcl/Tk while the Mac installer remains with the previous version? When this
is planned to be changed?

Maybe this is not the right place for this kind of question... can anyone
suggest a better place so that the question has a chance to be read by the
person who is actually creating the installation packages? Should I try to
send this as a bug to bugs.python.org?

Thanks,

Peter Tomcsanyi