Off-Topic: The Machine

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 07:06:56 EDT 2014

On 24.06.2014 03:23, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-type-computer-capable-
> calculating-640tbs-data-one-billionth-second-could
>
> Relevance: The Machine uses *eighty times less power* for the same amount
> of computing power as conventional architectures. If they could shrink it
> down to a mobile phone, your phone might last 2-3 months on a single
> charge.

The article is highly unscientific and unspecific. It does not elaborate
on what it means to "calculate" a terabyte of data nor does it specify
what it means to "handle" a petabyte of data. They're terms used by
ignorants, written for ignorants.

So all in all I think it's safe to discard the article.

Also, mobile phones don't waste most of their power doing "calculating"
and "handling" terabytes of data, but the RF and display consumes the
most of power. Therefore, even if you could scale the CPU down your
phone would still not go 2-3 months on a single charge.

Cheers,
Joe

> Zumindest nicht öffentlich!
Kosmologen: Die Geheim-Vorhersage.