how to check if a value is a floating point or not

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 02:22:47 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Nicholas Cannon
<nicholascannon1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys i am only a beginner at python most of the stuff you are saying i need to do i dont understand.

All we're saying is that the simplest and most accurate way to
determine whether a string can be converted to an int or a float is to
try converting it and see if it succeeds.  If it fails, it will raise
an exception that you can catch using the try-except syntax.  Here's
what your checkint function might look like:

    def checkint(a):
        try:
            int(a)
        except ValueError: