Understanding Python Code

subhabangalore at gmail.com subhabangalore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:44:05 EDT 2014

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:57:38 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:39:42 PM UTC+5:30, Ian wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:48 AM, wrote:
>

> > > I am trying to see this line,
>

> > > prev_f_sum = sum(f_prev[k]*a[k][st] for k in states)
>

> > > a[k][st], and f_prev[k] I could take out and understood.
>

> > > Now as it is doing sum() so it must be over a list,
>

> > > I am trying to understand the number of entities in the list, thinking whether to put len(), and see for which entities it is doing the sum.
>

> > It's summing a generator expression, not a list.  If it helps to
>

> > understand it, you could rewrite that line like this:
>

> > values_to_be_summed = []
>

> > for k in states:
>

> >     values_to_be_summed.append(f_prev[k]*a[k][st])
>

> > prev_f_sum = sum(values_to_be_summed)
>

> > So the number of entities in the list is len(states).
>

> Dear Group,
>

> Thank you for your kind answer. As I put from the error I discovered it. Please see my experiment almost near to your answer. I am trying one or two questions like, why it is appending only two values at a time. If you want to assist you may kindly help me assist me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Subhabrata Banerjee.

> MY EXPERIMENT

> else:
>
> 		    for k in states:
>
> 			    print "YYY1",f_prev[k]
>
> 			    print "YYY2",a[k][st]
>
> 			    prev_f_sum1=f_prev[k]*a[k][st]
>
> 			    print "YYY3",prev_f_sum1
>
> 			    prev_f_sum2 = sum(f_prev[k]*a[k][st] for k in states)
>
> 			    print "YYY4",prev_f_sum2

Dear Group,
Generally most of the issues are tackled here, but as I am trying to cross check my understanding I found another question,

f_curr[st] = e[st][x_i] * prev_f_sum

Here, if I give one print command and see the results,
print "$$2",f_curr

It is showing an iterative update like,
$$2 {'Healthy': 0.3},
$$2 {'Healthy': 0.3, 'Fever': 0.04000000000000001}

I was trying to ask how the size is being updated, from 1 to 2 back to 1 again 2... is it for any loop then which one, I tried to change but not being able
to if any one of the esteemed members may kindly help me.

Regards,
Subhabrata Banerjee.