Python 3 on Mac OS X 10.8.4

Andrea D'Amore anddamNOALPASTICCIODICARNE+gruppi at brapi.net
Thu Jun 19 03:52:23 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-19 07:02:21 +0000, Une Bévue said:

> I want to install Python 3 such as python-3.4.0-macosx10.6.dmg avoiding
> disturbing the "built-in" version.
> Is that possible ?

The Installer app won't let you see the target path of each package in
the metapackage so you'll have to open each of the them (we're talking
official binaries since you explicitly named that particular DMG file)
and check where they are going to install their content.
Most likely they'll go in /usr/local so you won't have clashes with
system's python.

An alternative is to install and learn to use a package manager, I use
MacPorts that requires full Xcode. Brew should require the smaller
command line package. Fink should require no additional packages since
it's basically APT. There are other managers as well, these are the
most common on OS X.

--
Andrea