Backport fix on #16611 to Python 2.7

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 17 23:31:30 EDT 2014

On 6/17/2014 9:08 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 18/06/2014 01:56, Makoto Kuwata wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a bug on SimpleCookie#load() which doesn't parse
>> 'secure' and 'httponly' attributes correctly.
>>
>>      try:
>>          from Cookie import SimpleCookie
>>      except:
>>          from http.cookies import SimpleCookie
>>      ck = SimpleCookie()
>>      ck.load('name1=value1; Path=/xxx; httponly; secure')
>>      print(ck.output())  #=> Set-Cookie: name1=value1; Path=/xxx
>>              # (Missing 'httponly' and 'secure' attributes on Python <
>> 3.3.2!)
>>

>> This bug has been registered as #16611, and fixed on 3.3.3.
>> But it is not backported into Python 2.7.
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue16611
>>
>> My question: Is there any plan to backport the fix to Python 2.7?

Do you have any plan to upgrade to 3.4, so you get *all* the bugfixes
possible?

> The simple answer is no.  The longer answer is, if you want to propose a
> patch to backport the fix, it's more likely that somebody will do the
> work to commit it as support for 2.7 has been extended until 2020.
> Please note that I said "more likely", there's no guarantee given that
> Python relies so much on volunteers.

The extended support is mostly focused on build (compiler) and security
(internet) issues, to support software already written and *working* on 2.7.

That said, if someone were to modify the patch to it could be imported
to 2.7 (at least changing file names) or make changes to the relevant
files by hand; run the tests, with whatever changes are needed so that
they do run; and change the code as needed so all tests pass; sign the
contributor agreement; and post a properly formatted test to the tracker
and indicate a readiness to respond to comments; then it might get some
attention.

--
Terry Jan Reedy