Python's numeric tower

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:04:06 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.11074.1402880950.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess if you have a list of Numbers that are all the same type, you
>> can probably sum them, but you can sum non-Numbers too. The docstring
>> is a bit vague - sure, it's a number, but what can you do with it?
>
> You can use it to count to three!

Since "increment" is not a provided method, and the + and += operators
are not guaranteed to be defined for any definition of 1 on the other
side, I'm not sure that's actually true... but if you hold a hand
grenade and want to know whether to count to Decimal('3') or 3+0j or
Fraction(3, 1), I'm just going to tell you to throw the thing already!

ChrisA