Python MSI Repo

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:53:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Alex Rodrigues <lemiant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a public repository for the python windows installer?
>
> I'd like to play around with it.

The installer is built using msi.py, found in the tools directory of
the main cpython repository:
http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/default/Tools/msi/msi.py

You can also find in that directory a README.txt file which should
help you get started, and you can also refer to the 'buildmsi.bat'
script in .../Tools/buildbot/ (which is currently unused and long out
of date, but can give you an idea of what's involved).  Note that the
script has not been updated for 3.5 yet (since there hasn't been a
release yet).  Also, it is not often used by anyone other than Martin
v. Löwis who has built all of the Python Windows installers in recent
history, so it may take a bit of effort to make it work.  I have tried
and failed a couple of times, but on each occasion have run out of
time to work on it before other things called me away.

That script is liable to change in the not-too-far-distant future, as
Steve Dower is taking over installer building responsibilities from
Martin and may change the way they are built entirely.

Good luck, and have fun 'playing around'! :)

--
Zach