Python's re module and genealogy problem

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:09:07 EDT 2014

> For some genealogical purposes I consider using Python's re module.
>
> Now, my problem: Is there a way to decide whether any two - or more - of
> those regular expressions will match the same string?
>
> Or, stated a little differently:
>
> Can it, for a pair of regular expressions be decided whether at least one
> string matching both of those regular expressions, can be constructed?
> --

Hi,
i guess, you could reuse some available generators for strings
matching a given regular expression, see e.g.:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/492716/reversing-a-regular-expression-in-python/
for example a pyparsing recipe:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/492716/reversing-a-regular-expression-in-python/5006339#5006339

which might be general enough for your needs - of course, you cannot
use unbound quantifiers, backreferences, etc.

Then you can test for identical strings in the generated outputs -
e.g. using the set(...) and its intersection method.

You might also check a much more powerful regex library
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex

which, beyond other features, also supports the mentioned fuzzy matches, cf.

>>> regex.findall(r"\bSm(?:ith){e<3}\b", "Smith Smithe Smyth Smythe Smijth")
['Smith', 'Smithe', 'Smyth', 'Smythe', 'Smijth']

(but, of course, you will have to be careful with this feature in
order to reduce false positives)

hth,
   vbr