try/except/finally

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jun 9 12:56:46 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Shiyao Ma <i at introo.me> wrote:

> It would be great if someone could discuss it from the viewpoint of bytecode. e.g., how the stack is popped, etc.

BITD, you couldn't have try/except/finally. You could have try/except
or try/finally. You could nest the two, which is what people used to
do (back when we had to walk uphill both ways to school in a
snowstorm). As I recall, it wasn't implemented from the start because
the benefit of having try/except/finally didn't outweigh the
difficulty of implementation. Someone finally buckled down and
implemented it. To understand it, I think you might have to read the
source and PEP 341.