Uniform Function Call Syntax (UFCS)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:08:11 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> In what language does "often" (\ˈȯ-fən, ÷ˈȯf-tən\) sound like
> "orphan" (\ˈȯr-fən\)?
>
> ('oh-fan', 'ov-ten' or even 'off-ten' versus 'or-fen')

Language? English. :) Your point is more about accent, and if you
listen to some of the accents around the English countryside, you'll
know there are quite a few of them (which is a plot point in My Fair
Lady). Personally, I think the Midlands accents are rather delightful.
I've spent a month at a time in Buxton (one of the highest-altitude
towns in England) several times, always a pleasant time. But anyway.
The story is set in Penzance, in Cornwall, and in the typical Cornish
accent, the two words are fairly much alike. That said, though, some
performers (either through sloppiness or for deliberate comic effect)
do play around with that joke; but it's not hard to establish accents
that make the joke work.

> No wonder Gilbert and Sullivan had difficulty seeking success after HMS
> Pinafore...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y27MfF-n_Y

Hmm, that's a good idea! I wonder whether we could use it... you know,
same as so many other people already have. (Starship Pinafore
productions are actually fairly common) Wonder what's in our
calendar... ooh look, later on this year!

http://gilbertandsullivan.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=670&Itemid=565

Anyone want to come and join us? I'll be up in the lighting box every night.

ChrisA