OT: This Swift thing

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 14:16:24 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Kurdt: I wouldn't disturb the fan controller.
>> Kurdt: Ever seen an AMD without a fan? ;)
>> Leshrak: heh, yeah
>> Leshrak: actually.  it's not a pretty smell
>> Kurdt: Especially when it's overclocked. It goes FZZZZT in under two seconds.
>>
>> I think that's about right.
>
> One would think that in 2014, a device called a "thermostat" would shut
> down the power before expensive equipent goes up in a ball of smoke.

That exchange actually happened back in 2005 (wow! ages ago now), but
same difference. However, I think there are very few thermostats that
can cut the power quickly enough for an overclocked chip that loses
its heat sink. MAYBE if the heat sink is still on and the fan isn't,
but not if the hs falls off. "Under two seconds" might become "the
blink of an eye".

ChrisA