Unicode and Python - how often do you index strings?

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 23:24:45 EDT 2014

On 06/06/2014 01:42 AM, Johannes Bauer wrote:
<snip>
> Ah, I didn't know rstrip() accepted parameters and since you wrote
> line.rstrip() this would also cut away whitespaces (which sadly are
> relevant in odd cases).

No problem.  If a parameter is used in the strip() family, than _only_ those characters are
stripped.  Example:

 >>> s = 'some text \n'
 >>> print('"{}"'.format(s.rstrip()))      #  No parameter, strip all whitespace
"some text"
 >>> print('"{}"'.format(s.rstrip('\n')))  #  Parameter is newline, only strip newlines
"some text "

      -=- Larry

BTW, the strip() parameter (which must be a string) is not limited to whitespace, it can be used
with any set of characters.