How to use SQLite (sqlite3) more efficiently

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jun 6 17:58:37 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM, R Johnson
> <ps16thypresenceisfullnessofjoy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The subject line isn't as important as a header, carried invisibly
>>> through, that says that you were replying to an existing post. :)
>>
>> Sorry for my ignorance, but I've never edited email headers before and
>> didn't find any relevant help on Google. Could you please give some more
>> details about how to do what you're referring to, or perhaps point me to a
>> link that would explain more about it? (FYI, I read the Python mailing list
>> on Google Groups, and reply to posts in Thunderbird, sending them to the
>> Python-list email address.)
>
> The simple answer is: You don't have to edit headers at all. If you
> want something to be part of the same thread, you hit Reply and don't
> change the subject line. If you want something to be a spin-off
> thread, you hit Reply and *do* change the subject. If you want it to
> be a brand new thread, you don't hit Reply, you start a fresh message.
> Any decent mailer will do the work for you.
>
> Replying is more than just quoting a bunch of text and copying in the
> subject line with "Re:" at the beginning. :)

The other half is that in order to be able to reply to a message you have to be reading that message in a mail program, or in a newsreader.

Since you (R) are using Thunderbird,  you should either subscribe to the mailing list (NOT in digest mode), or set up a newsgroup in Thunderbird from gmane.comp.python.general.

If you choose the mailing list, you'll probably want to set up a rule in Thunderbird that moves all incoming messages from the inbox to a dedicated folder. Set that folder to show the threaded view, and you should be in good shape.  There's a keystroke that gets you to the next unread message, but all the others are easily accessible.  It interprets those headers mentioned above and groups all the replies together.  And you use the Reply-list button so the message goes to the list and not the individual.

--
DaveA