Forking PyPI package

Akira Li 4kir4.1i at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 07:26:23 EDT 2014

Wiktor <look at signature.invalid> writes:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 03:37:56 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Wiktor <look at signature.invalid> wrote:
>>>   I guess, I'll try to do what Chris proposed. Forget about this
>>> implementation and write python script from the scratch looking only at the
>>> original JavaScript version. :-/
>>
>> Sadly, that may be your only safe option.
>>
>> Let this be a lesson to all: If you want something to be free
>> software, make it very clear, because "it looks like he meant that to
>> be open source" just isn't enough :(
>
>   Lesson taken. ;-)
>   Interesting thing is, that for another 4 people, lack of license in this
> script wasn't problem to publish its modified version. I've just searched
> phrase "pwdhash" on GitHub, to simply check if someone else hadn't port
> this script to Python3 earlier, or maybe ported it (with proper license) to
> Python2 so I would have better start. And I've found practically the same
> script here: https://github.com/ali01/pwdhash.py, forked then 3 times.
>   Of course I'm not going to act now "Oh, they could do that without
> consequences, so why should I bother?" - no, I'm going to do this right (as
> a good start in OS community) - but it feels awkward now. ;-)

Have you tried to open an issue about clarifying the license terms [1] ?

[1]: https://github.com/abbot/pwdhash/issues/new

Or better yet, submit a pull request that specifies the license to the
standard you need?

I've dealt with the author in the past. I see no reason, he would refuse
to accept PR if license=BSD in setup.py is not enough.

--
akira