OT: This Swift thing

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 5 19:08:50 EDT 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 22:07:18 +0200, Alain Ketterlin wrote:

> Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 05/06/14 10:14, Alain Ketterlin wrote:
>>
>>> Type safety.
>>
>> Perhaps. Python has strong type safety.
>
> Come on.

No, Sturla is correct. Python has strongly-typed values and dynamically-
typed variables, which means that you get type errors at run-time, not
compile-time. But you still get type errors:

py> '1' + 2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: Can't convert 'int' object to str implicitly

[...]
>> When I compile Cython modules I use LLVM on this computer.
>
> Cython is not Python, it is another language, with an incompatible
> syntax.

Cython is best considered a superset of Python, with a pure-Python
compatibility mode. It can run standard Python code.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/