How to use SQLite (sqlite3) more efficiently

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:29:17 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 6:12 AM, R Johnson
<ps16thypresenceisfullnessofjoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that the scripts Peter pointed to used REPLACE instead
> of INSERT OR REPLACE. The SQLite documentation says that REPLACE is an alias
> for INSERT OR REPLACE provided for compatibility with other SQL database
> engines. Is there a preference for one or the other?
>
> I had changed my code from using INSERT OR REPLACE to using REPLACE
> (including my new sample), but since then changed it back. I don't care
> about compatibility with other database engines, and INSERT OR REPLACE seems
> more logical to me, since REPLACE sounds like a synonym for UPDATE.

(Suggestion: Always reply to an existing post if it's part of the same
thread. Replying to your own post is fine, and it links the thread
together nicely.)

You can use either, and they're equally non-standard - in my opinion,
equally wrong. Whatever feels right to you.

ChrisA