Python 3.2 has some deadly infection

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Jun 5 11:37:23 EDT 2014

On 05/06/2014 15:45, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:
>
>> What Marko is saying is that by imposing the structuring of unicode on
>> the outside (Unix) world of text=byte, significant power is lost.
>
> Mostly I'm saying Python3 will not be able to hide the fact that linux
> data consists of bytes. It shouldn't even try. The linux OS outside the
> Python process talks bytes, not strings.
>
> A different OS might have different assumptions.
>

> Marko

I think I'm in the unix camp as well. I just think that an extra assumption on
input output isn't always helpful. In python 3 byte strings are second class
which I think is wrong; apparently pressure from influential users is pushing to
make byte strings more first class which is a good thing.
--
Robin Becker