OT: This Swift thing

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 5 11:12:53 EDT 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 05:56:07 -0700, Rustom Mody wrote:

> On Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:09:34 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 22:43:05 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> > Many mail readers treat \t as a null char since it actually has no
>> > standard translation into screen space.
>
>> I challenge that assertion. There are two standard translations into
>> screen space: jump to the next multiple of 8 spaces, or 1 space.
>
>> Treating \t as a single space would be pathetic but standard. Treating
>> it as (up to) 8 spaces would be more useful, and standard. Rendering it
>> as a picture of a banana dancing on the ceiling would be silly and non-
>> standard. Not rendering it at all is even more stupid and less
>> justified.
>
> A random thread (I guess one can find more):
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-March/621993.html

I don't understand why you posted this link. I wasn't questioning Terry's
description of the problem, that his mail client eats tabs. Thunderbird
doesn't eat tabs for me, but I believe Terry when he says it eats them
for him. I was questioning his assertion that there is no standard way to
render a tab character.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/