OT: This Swift thing

Alain Ketterlin alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Jun 5 04:14:15 EDT 2014

Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Apple,
>
> Why should I be exited about an illegitmate child of Python, Go and
> JavaScript?
[...]

Type safety. (And with it comes better performance ---read battery
life--- and better static analysis tools, etc.) LLVM (an Apple-managed
project) for the middle- and back-end, and a brand new front-end
incorporating a decent type system (including optional types for
instance).

Swift's memory management is similar to python's (ref. counting). Which
makes me think that a subset of python with the same type safety would
be an instant success.

-- Alain.