OT: This Swift thing

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 19:23:29 EDT 2014

On 6/4/14 5:18 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 6/4/2014 10:53 AM, Mark H Harris wrote:
>> The primary paradigm on this topic locally is that
>> indents are bad because malformed or mangled code cannot be reformatted
>> easily (if at all).
>
> Begin solution:':' as the end of a line means 'begin block; indent next
> line'. If one is using tools that mangle, one can add end-of-block
> comments: '# end, # end if, # if (end implied), or even just ##. In any
> case, the stylized comment could mean 'dedent' and code could be
> reconstituted with all indents stripped. There are probably programs on
> PyPI to do that. End of excuse.

    Yup. Well, I've only been doing python coding for ~9-10 years, but
I've never had this formatting problem. I viewed the entire debate as
'an excuse'. I'm going to do some looking on PyPI-- it would be nice to
point folks to something concrete.  If its an excuse, then that puts an
end to it.

    As long as I'm addressing an IDLE guy, what would you think of a
feature for IDLE that would format python code with block delimiters
automatically and visa versa ?

Thanks

marcus