Micro Python -- a lean and efficient implementation of Python 3

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Jun 4 14:42:06 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.10673.1401853976.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can't ignore those. You might be able to say "Well, my program
> will run slower if you throw these at it", but if you're going down
> that route, you probably want the full FSR and the advantages it
> confers on ASCII and Latin-1 strings. Binding your program to BMP-only
> is nearly as dangerous as binding it to ASCII-only; potentially worse,
> because you can run an awful lot of artificial tests without
> remembering to stick in some astral characters.

Yup.  I wrote a while(*) back about the pain I was having importing some
data into a MySQL(**) database which (unknown to me when I started) only
handled BMP.  It turns out in the entire dataset of 20-odd million
records, there were exactly four that had astral characters.  All of my
tests worked.  I didn't discover the problem until it blew up many hours
into the "final" production import run.

(*) Two years?

(**) This was not the only pain point with MySQL.  We eventually
switched to Postgress.