pyflakes best practices?

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Wed Jun 4 13:42:33 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
> We've recently started using pyflakes.  The results seem to be
> similar
> to most tools of this genre.  It found a few real problems.  It
> generated a lot of noise about things which weren't really wrong, but
> were easy to fix (mostly, unused imports), and a few plain old false
> positives which have no easy "fix" (in the sense of, things I can
> change
> which will make pyflakes STFU).
>
> So, what's the best practice here?  How do people deal with the false
> positives?  Is there some way to annotate the source code to tell
> pyflakes to ignore something?
> --

For the easy things to fix, fix them (yes, remove the unused imports). That is the best practice.
pyflakes is integrated with my vim editor, it's working fine, but I used someone else script so there's possibly some tuning going on, I can't help you with that.

However as someone stated before, pylint is I think a preferred solution, it's highly configurable and this is what we're using for the real deal (the code base is checked with pylint).

With pylint, you can disable any checker you find annoying, you can add commented directives in the code to locally disable a checker in a block or in a line and you can write plugins to extend the pylint understanding of your code.

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.