OT: This Swift thing

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:43:28 EDT 2014

On 6/3/14 11:54 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I've been passing code snippets by email and Usenet for 15 years or more,
> and I've never had a problem with indentation.
>
> Of course, I've had problems with *other people's code*, because they use
> broken tools that break the text they send.

     Me too.

     The other way round is also true, that is, tools that break the
code when read into a formatting tool.

     The claim (which I cannot substantiate) is that code passed through
emails/web, with indents, gets mangled in such a way that a formatting
tool cannot restore the indent logic. Well, the problem is what mangles
the code, not the indents.

     Regardless, the misconception that indents are bad prevails here
almost universally.

marcus