Micro Python -- a lean and efficient implementation of Python 3

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 4 04:00:52 EDT 2014

On 04.06.2014 09:16, Chris Angelico wrote:
> The point is
> not that you might be able to get away with sticking your head in the
> sand and wishing Unicode would just go away. Even if you can, it's not
> something Python 3 can ever do.

Exactly. These endless discussions about different encodings start to
get really boring. I cannot think of any aspect of it that hasn't been
discussed here on several occasions, but as a fact:

"Strings are immutable sequences of Unicode code points" in Python3
(https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html?highlight=str#textseq)
and this is not an implementation detail. So if any "implementation"
doesn't stick to this convention, it is simply incomplete.

> And I don't think anybody can, anyway. If your device is big enough to
> hold Python, it should be big enough to handle Unicode; and then you
> don't have to say "Oh, sorry rest-of-the-world, this only works in
> English... and only a subset of English... and stuff".

Wolfgang