OT: This Swift thing

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jun 3 19:22:15 EDT 2014

On 6/3/2014 5:49 PM, Mark H Harris wrote:

> I have been engaged in a minor flame debate (locally) over block
> delimiters (or lack thereof) which I'm loosing. Locally, people hate
> python's indentation block delimiting, and wish python would adopt
> curly braces. I do not agree, of course; however, I am noticing when
> new languages come out they either use END (as in Julia) or they
> propagate the curly braces paradigm as in C.   The issue locally is
> trying to pass code snippets around the net informally is a problem
> with indentation. My reply is, well, don't do that. For what I see as
> a freedom issue, folks want to format their white space (style) their
> way and don't want to be forced into an indentation paradigm that is
> rigid (or no so much!).

the only problem I have with indentation defining blocks is that it's
hard to cut and paste code and make it fit the right block level
automatically. Too many times of made the mistake of one or two lines
off by one or two levels of indentation and somehow the code doesn't
work as I thought it would :-) It's also making it difficult to generate
code automatically.

On the other hand, curly braces are royal pain to dictate or navigate
around when programming with speech recognition.

--- eric