OT: This Swift thing

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 17:00:03 EDT 2014

On 6/3/14 1:26 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>>From Apple's perspective, there's always platform lock-in. That's good
> for them, so it must be good for you, right? :-)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/02/apple_aims_to_speed_up_secure_coding_with_swift_programming_language/

The key to this "Swift thing" is the same for the "Julia thing"... LLVM.

Swift is getting huge performance boost from LLVM, not to mention that
its not bloated, nor is it designed by committee. ehem.

This has less to due with lock-in per se, and more to do with quality
control and consistency. OTOH, it has A LOT to due with reinventing the
wheel. I love it. Every time a product comes out like Julia, or Swift,
the committee needs to take notice, and perhaps adapt.

marcus