Would a Python 2.8 help you port to Python 3?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 3 12:21:40 EDT 2014

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 13:40:43 +0100, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> An interesting article from Lennart Regebro
> http://regebro.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/would-a-python-2-8-help-you-
port-to-python-3/
> although I'm inclined to ignore it as it appears to be factual.  We
> can't have that getting in the way of plain, good, old fashioned FUD now
> can we?

Thanks for that link.

People forget, or don't realise, that Python 2.7 *is* the 2.8 they are
looking for. Python 3 came out with 2.5. There have already been two
transitional releases, 2.6 and 2.7, which have partially introduced 3
features such as "from __future__ import division" etc.

Python 3.0 final was released on December 3rd, 2008, just two months
(almost to the day) after 2.6.

https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6
https://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0

--