Python 3.2 has some deadly infection

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jun 3 10:18:19 EDT 2014

> The problem is that causal readers like Robin sometimes jump from 'In Python 3,
> it can be hard to do something one really ought not to do' to 'Binary I/O is
> hard in Python 3' -- which is is not.

I'm fairly causal and I did understand that the rant was a bit over the top for
fairly practical reasons I have always regarded the std streams as allowing
binary data and always objected to having to open files in python with  a 't' or
'b' mode to cope with line ending issues.

Isn't it a bit old fashioned to think everything is connected to a console?

I think the idea that we only give meaning to binary data using encodings is a
bit limiting. A zip or gif file has structure, but I don't think it's reasonable
to regard such a file as having an encoding in the python unicode sense.
--
Robin Becker