Windows Studio 2008 Download

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 09:16:09 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Colin J. Williams
<cjwilliams43 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i.  I've seen notes, in various places to say that the Express version is
> not acceptable for compiling Python packages.  Is it, in fact usable for
> this purpose?

I'm not 100% sure on the details, but I do believe the intention was
always for the Express version to be suitable.

> ii. The Service Pack 1 has the original studio as a prerequisite.  That is
> no longer available from Microsoft.

There are probably unofficial third-party sites where you can get it,
but if you're going to go down that route, you'd do better to just
grab a third-party Numpy binary and save yourself the trouble.

It's also possible to get a different compiler and build your own
Python and extensions. But that's going to be a lot of work, too.

ChrisA