Windows Studio 2008 Download

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:32:07 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:40 AM, Colin J. Williams
<cjwilliams43 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I gather that Python is compiled with Windows Studio 2008.
>
> Unfortunately, the MS Download link points to a Studio 2010 advertising .ppx
>
> Could someone point to an alternative please?

That would be specific to one particular version of Python; each
version is built with whatever compiler was current at the time. I'm
guessing you're talking about Python 2.7. This is one of the problems
with supporting Python 2.7 longer than Microsoft is supporting VS
2008.

> PS  I need it for Numpy-1.8.1, which does not seem to be available with a
> binary version.

You may be able to get a numpy binary from here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

But that's unofficial, so you're taking all the usual risks of
downloading binary code from third parties.

Are you able to migrate your project to Python 3? (If you weren't
using 2.7 after all, but were actually talking about 3.1 or 3.2, then
the answer to this is trivially "Yes".) The more recent Pythons are
built with more recent C compilers, so you could get Python 3.4 and
the correct compiler.

ChrisA