What meaning of this ""hello %s you are %s years old" % x"

Gary Herron gary.herron at islandtraining.com
Sun Jul 27 16:02:18 EDT 2014

On 07/27/2014 11:49 AM, fl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get a post on tuple, see below please, on line. It seems that something is
> missing. I want to learn tuple from this example as well.
>
> Could you explain it to me (a tuple % another tuple)?
>

> Thanks,
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1708510/python-list-vs-tuple-when-to-use-each
>
> In Python, when should you use lists and when tuples?
>
> Sometimes you don't have a choice, for example if you have
>
> "hello %s you are %s years old" % x
> then x must be a tuple.
>
> But if I am the one who designs the API and gets to choose the data types, then
> what are the guidelines?

That's not tuple%tuple, but rather string%tuple.  And string%tuple is
the older method of formatting an output string from a template and a
tuple of values.  See
https://docs.python.org/2/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting for
details.

However, if you are just learning Python, you should probably use the
*newer* formatting operations.  See
https://docs.python.org/3.3/library/string.html#formatspec for details
of that.

Gary Herron