one to many (passing variables)

C.D. Reimer chris at cdreimer.com
Fri Jul 25 21:47:55 EDT 2014

On 7/24/2014 2:58 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Here is an article on good API design; the principles apply to Python
> <URL:http://blog.isnotworking.com/2007/05/api-design-guidelines.html>.
> You know your API and its requirements better than we; see whether that
> sheds any light on improvements to make.
Thank you for the link. I'm curious about one item mentioned in the
article: "Avoid return values that Demand Exceptional Processing: return
zero-length array or empty collection, not null"

Isn't a zero-length array, empty collection and null all the same thing?

Or does the "Demand Exceptional Processing" comes from testing to see if
the object is empty versus being null?

And does this apply to Python?

Thank you,

Chris Reimer