Prob. Code Downloaded for Programming the Semantic Web (python code)

Bruce Whealton futurewavewebdevelopment at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:06:17 EDT 2014

Hello all,
       I downloaded some code accompanying the book "Programming the Semantic Web."  This question is not Semantic Web related and I doubt that one needs to know anything about the Semantic Web to help  me with this.  It's the first code sample in the book, I'm embarrassed to say.  I have the code shared here (just one file, not the majority of the book or anything): http://pastebin.com/e870vjYK

OK, Eclipse with PyDev doesn't like this first line, with the function:
def add(self, (sub, pred, obj)):

It complains about the parentheses just before sub.  Simply removing them just moves me down to another error.  I did try using python 3.x (3.4 to be specific), which meant changing print statements to function calls.  Of course, that didn't fix the errors I was mentioning.  The text uses python 2.7.x.

There are other places where I thought that there were too many parentheses and I tried removing one set of them.  For example this snippet here:

    def remove(self, (sub, pred, obj)):
        """
        Remove a triple pattern from the graph.
        """
        triples = list(self.triples((sub, pred, obj)))

Are the two sets parentheses needed after self.triples?  That syntax is confusing to me.  It seems that it should be
triples = list(self.triples(sub, pred, obj))

The full listing is here: http://pastebin.com/e870vjYK

I agree with the authors that python is a fun and easy language to use, thus it is strange that I am getting stuck here.

Thanks,
Bruce