Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jul 24 17:24:20 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-24, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Zachary Ware
><zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
>> <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tk is neither sane
>>
>> How so?  Like any other facet of programming, using Tk(inter) has it's
>> frustrations, but for the most part it has always worked as expected
>> for me.  Granted, I haven't done anything terribly fancy.
>
> Pretty much everyone in the world hates Tcl and Tk.  Ask your favorite
> search engine for some results.

Tcl and Tk are both absolutely brilliant for doing trivial things.

Once the complexity starts to increase beyond "hello world, click here
to exit", Tcl falls over almost immediately and starts flopping around
like a fish on a dock.  Tk hangs in there quite a bit longer and is
pretty useful as long as you've just got one main window and a few
dialog boxes.  IMO, it looks/acts native "enough" on Windows (at least
for the widgets I've used).  On Linux, it looks/acts "non-native" (not
GTK or Qt), but Linux users don't have an immediate brain sieze-up
when confronted with a slightly different UI, and they seem to be able
to use Tk apps just fine.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN ... I might as well